Nope. But when K and I kicked off this blog, one of our observations was that we simply didn't have anything of note to share. Since our epic road adventure last year, that has largely been the case. One could say that having our main floor flood with black water back in October would qualify as an event. Or, my going back to school, a feat that amazed everyone (not least myself). Or, our bringing home a delightful, if painfully high-maintenance, puppy, Pippa.
![]() |
| I don't look high-maintenance, do I? |
Thanks to the forced-march curriculum of the Foster EMBA program, I am now spending the next few days in Dubai, UAE, then hopping down to Chennai, India for another five days. All of this, I'm told, is intended to teach me that doing business in different cultures requires something called "cultural sensitivity" or the ability to "adapt". I'm an American, however, and in my previous four years working overseas I've already learned that no matter how hard I try to blend, natives are going to follow me around trying to get me to buy worthless tchotchkes in the street. I also know that I will be mocked (at least behind my back) for trying to speak the language no matter how many Rosetta Stone tapes through which I sleep. No matter. The trip is a program requirement, so here I am, endless hours of airplane food and subway stops later, ready to hit the ground running here in Dubai.
Now that I'm here, I've learned that Dubai is not a typical Arab country. The mastermind behind Dubai's mushrooming success as a global financial and commercial hub is none other than its fearless leader, Sheikh Mohammed. Unlike other emirs who used their vast oil resources to build themselves platinum-plated 747's or pave their palace grounds with diamonds, Sheikh Muhammad had a vision for turning Dubai into a "hub of hubs" under a policy of treating all economies equally. Starting as head of security and police, he expanded his purview to become head of the Department of Oil. He used his role, and his vast wealth, to grow his emirate. Key in all Mohammed's investments was pulling Dubai away from oil dependency. He established "free zones" where businesses could set up shop as 100% owners with 0% tax. He established a real estate company to build man-made islands, expanding Dubai's "coastline" with over 600 miles of premium-priced real estate. He funded the world's first "seven-star" hotel, the Burj al Arab. And, as if that wasn't enough, he built the world's tallest building, the Burj Khalifa, connected to the world's biggest shopping mall. Culturally, he extended his open philosophy to all cultures and beliefs, resulting in a population that is over 80% expatriate.
![]() |
| There's THIS much opportunity here! |
Starting to get the picture?
The result is a shining, clean metropolis in the desert. The metro runs everywhere, on time all the time. Highways are Texas-caliber, all the better to let the glitterati cruise around in their silly-expensive cars. I intend to learn, as best I can, whether this is truly a shining example of capitalism done well, or if there isn't some sort of seamy underbelly making the whole thing fly. Was the Burj built with the tears of 9 year olds? Does Emirates carry trafficked children in its holds? I hope not, but I intend to learn as much as I can in my short time here. In the mean time, Day One went pretty well. Witness my relaxing post-prandial hookah.
![]() |
| Ringside for belly dancing |
Once I charge my phone, I'll share my video of dune racing in a tricked out Land Cruiser through the desert. In the mean time, I bid you:
"Leyla Saida!"
![]() |
| That means "Good Night" in Arabic! |




No comments:
Post a Comment